- “God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.” -John 4:24-26.
Jesus reveals that He is the Christ, the promised Messiah that would come. Are His words speaking to you in the same way He spoke to the woman at the well?
- “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;”-John 5:24-26.
Jesus claims His word can be “heard” or understood, and that believing on His divine identity and mission gives “everlasting life”, defeating “death”. In addition, He claims to have the same “life” giving authority and ability in “Himself” that God has. Can you hear His voice? Do you believe He was sent to save you? Do you know that He has the power to give you life beyond your death?
- “And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not. All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.” -John 6:35-40.
Jesus identifies Himself as the “bread” of life. Partaking of Him by faith, He claims, will forever satisfy hunger and thirst. He proclaims that He is sent by God, doing God’s will, and will “raise” believing people to “everlasting life”. God has souls to save. It is a surety. Jesus has and will save every last one that “believeth on him”. Will you eat this bread and receive this life?
- “Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”
Jesus identifies Himself as the “light” of the world. He promises those that “follow” will not experience spiritual “darkness” but own a life of spiritual “light”. Many claim to be bright and offer life, but Jesus’ promise is authoritative, unique, exclusive. If you want out of darkness and into light, then follow Jesus.
- “Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God? He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him? And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee. And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.” -John 9:35-38.
Jesus did what no man of God or angel would allow. He received worship as God. He expressed that He was visible and talking in the flesh, and at the same time . . . God. He was both God and Man without sin; the perfect acceptable Lamb to be offered for you. Believe in Him as the Son of God. Worship Him as your Savior.
- “Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have [it] more abundantly. I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.” -John 10:7-11.
Jesus explains Himself to be a good shepherd, one that sits in the sheepfold door as the “door” itself. No enemy and no sheep can enter but through Him. He is willing to give His life for the sheep. Anyone who offers sheep anything less is a “thief and robber”. When Jesus says of Himself, He is the door, sheep have “life more abundantly”. Heaven’s only door is Jesus. The only “shepherd” that can take you through death unto Heaven is Him. Can you hear His words?
- “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. I and my Father are one. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.” -John 10:27-31.
Jesus has a flock. They hear Him, and follow Him. They never perish and can’t be defeated. The most incredible part is that He claimed to be equal with God. “I and my Father are one.” The religious Jews knew what He was claiming. They knew he was declaring to be the Messiah. Because they were not His flock and did not hear, they tried to stone Him for blasphemy. Any man that makes such claims must be judged . . . Messiah, deceiver, or mad man? Put down your stone, hear His voice, and follow Him.
- “But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee. Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again. Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.” -John 11:22-27.
Jesus received Martha’s declaration of Himself as the Messiah. She believed His declaration of resurrection power, that is the ability to give life to the dead. In fact, He said if we “believeth in Him” we should never really die. He claimed not just to have power, but to be the power itself. You go to the doctor to preserve your body; will you go to Jesus to forever preserve your body and soul?
- “Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.” -John 14:1-7.
Jesus wants you to believe in Him the way most men believe in God. He claims not to be one of many ways to salvation, but “the way”, the only way. He does not claim to be among teachers of truth, but “the truth” itself, the exclusive truth. He tells not of a better life, but identifies Himself as the single “embodiment” of life.
“No man”, religious or otherwise, can go to Heaven, that is “come to the Father”, except through “Him”. What an incredibly exclusive proposition! It is true or it is not! What is your response to such a claim? What if it is true?
These incredible words of Jesus about Himself are clearly loving declarations teaching you who He really is. He is the promised Messiah! He is all that the New Testament declares Him to be! He truly declares Himself the Son of God, one with the Father, having the power to save, and give eternal life. Furthermore, He receives worship along with declarations of His identity as savior, and charges you to believe in Him, His name and His saving power.
Many say, “Jesus never claimed to be what Christians today say He is.” Nothing could be further from the truth. He not only claimed divinity, but declared Himself to be exclusive and the absolute single way to salvation and Heaven. Jesus was a great moral teacher and enlightener, but He was so much more than that . . . His teachings and enlightenment were about Himself!
He would have you to be convinced of His Lordship today! “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved and thy house!” – Acts 16:31.
Repent of your own sins and sinfulness. Let go of the religion of doing or earning your own way. If you could do it yourself then Christ’s words are meaningless, and His cross and death are too. No church, priest, preacher or denomination can save through membership or righteous acts. Only the sacrificial blood, death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ will save your soul and seal your eternity in Heaven!
Bend the knees of your will in humility. Raise the hands of your heart in surrender. Pray to Him, “Lord have mercy on my soul and save me from my sin, myself and my silly attempts at cold, dead religion.”
“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” -2 Peter 3:9.
Will you believe in Jesus’ own words about Himself?